Sunday, October 12, 2008

Crime Shows = My Educated Paranoia

I am a paranoid person. Always have been, thanks in part to my mother (God Bless her). She wanted me to be aware of the dangers in the world so I could be prepared. Good intentions aside, I became extremely paranoid. By 5, I was opening my car door from as far away as I could reach and jumping into the car, thus avoiding the "bad guy" under the car that would cut my Achilles tendon. Why didn't I just look under the car? Because there had been cases where people did that and the "bad guy" sprayed them with mace. It's a no win situation though because I always hit my head on the car. Clever huh? I would be a much harder target if I knocked myself unconscious first. By high school, I carried a large letter opener in the side pocket of my car. It was around the time car jacking was becoming more popular and I figured I could lock my door, grab his arm, (sorry for the "his" stereotype), pull him partially into the car and stab him in the neck with the letter opener. I, of course, have such lightening quick reflexes. I often caught myself thinking up scenarios of attacks or accidents and my escape plan or attack plan. Even sitting at home I would think "OK, if someone broke in through the back window, what would I do?" Paranoid? Crazy? Just a little.
Now, I am a big fan of crime shows. CSI, Without a Trace, and Bones are some of my tops. These shows are great, but I have realized that now they are just educating my paranoia. I watch the shows and am amazed by all the things people can do to one another that I never thought of! Now, I have to come up with game plans for all of those too. Another side effect of these shows is that I catch myself "checking out" people and places. If someone in the grocery store parking lot looks suspicious to me (you know the type, squinty eyes, scar across their face....) I start memorizing details. What they are wearing, what their car looks like, things like that. That way, the next day when someone matching that description has committed a crime and the police are asking for anyone with details, I can help. I am surprised though at how many people appear suspicious :D I have so many descriptions in my head that their is no way I could help anyone.
Having a child hasn't helped either, because now you have to calculate in to my brain kidnappings and children being sold on the black market........maybe I'll just stick to Oprah and Martha Stewart.

No comments: