Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Where have all the manners gone?

After many different experiences I have had in the last several months, I have to ask this question. Maybe I am just getting older....ripe old age of 26 and all....but my parents raised me with manners. You said "may I please" or you did not get whatever it was you wanted. If you bumped someone, you said "excuse me". You did not talk to adults unless they asked you a question, you never interrupted, you respected elders.....crazy things like that.

The main event that brought up this pondering was a lovely day at the movie theater I experienced recently. My husband and I were getting ready to walk up to the concession stand when a young girl, I'd say she was about 16 and dressed in what appeared to be her 8-year-old sister's clothes, bumped into me. Now, normally I would say excuse me, but I am trying to get past this habit of apologizing for things that are not my fault, so I thought I would wait for her to apologize. Instead she said "move b****!" Well.......ok......I picked my jaw up and just stared for a minute. My husband asked me to go ahead and get us a seat because apparently I was turning red and looked like I was going to "have a discussion" with her.

I was flabbergasted! Now, I am not a violent person by any means, but she didn't know that! I could have been a crazy person that attacked her. Do kids not think today! If I had ever said anything like that my mother would have busted me. Actually, any neighbor or someone that knew me would have given me a mouth full and my mother would have known about it before I got home. It's just several events like that that make me wonder if people are even bothering to teach manners, morals, anything like that anymore.

Thank you for reading :D

No comments: